Sunday, January 5, 2014

Waiting

I do not like to wait. It is probably a personal flaw but it is the truth. I hate sitting around waiting for an answer.   I do not mind if I have an idea why or when such as "We will call you back by Wednesday." or "I will get back to you by 2."   What I hate is the generic, "I'll get back to you."   Then you wait around for the phone to ring; afraid to do things that might take you from the phone.

Right now we are waiting on the plumber. We had terrible sub zero freezing for two nights in a row.  The pipe in my shower froze and sadly, burst.  So now I am sitting around for 2 days with the water turn off so that it does not flood down through my kitchen ceiling.  We are on the waiting list for the plumber.   This is not their fault and I am sure they are working fairly non stop trying to get to people just like me.

I just wish they would call and update us.  Are we near the top of the queue?  Are there still 10 people ahead of us?   For a business this is a tough decision.  If they call and tell me that 10 people are ahead of me, I might call another plumber.  If they don't keep me updated, I could be next in line but not know it. I might just start calling plumbers to see if I can find one to come out quicker.

So they are in a situation where good customer service means calling and keeping me updated--I'd say about once a day--and good business sense means not giving me a chance to get upset about my place in line and leaving.  Plus they are probably very busy and don't necessarily want to take the time to call everyone with updates. 

I guess I am saying I understand why they have not called and am stilling shaking my head that they haven't.  But then, maybe not having a shower for two days has just made me grumpy.

No comments:

Post a Comment