Sunday, March 30, 2014

Respect Other People's Property

My sister is having a problem with a neighbor. The neighbor is having work done on their own property and instead of properly disposing of the trash, the neighbor is throwing it into the woods behind their house. Leaving aside that it is just a terrible thing to do to the environment, the woods behind their house also happen to be my sister's property.

I don't think anyone particularly thinks this is a nice or neighborly or polite thing to do. However, this neighbor may not be thinking about it at all.  She may very well be thinking, "Who cares if I throw some things into the woods? It's not like I am throwing it in their driveway. Besides, otherwise I would have to take it to the dump myself and that is such a pain."

It's true; it is a pain.  So is having to clean up after someone else or go next door and try to have a reasonable conversation about someone very unreasonably using your land as their own personal dump.

I find myself at least once a week out at the end of my driveway picking up cigarette butts. Neither I, nor my husband, nor any of our regular visitors, smoke. I have never seem the Marlboro light thrown there but I am fairly certain it belongs to the gentleman who regularly walks by my house walking his dog.  I imagine he does not feel like carrying a smelly cigarette home again so he tosses it where ever he is when he finishes it.  He does not feel like carrying it so instead I have to keep cleaning off the end of my driveway? If I ever see him do it, I will politely ask him to stop and hope he is either reasonable, or ashamed enough, to stop. 

If you have an inconsiderate neighbor, the first step is to politely, nicely ask them to stop. Do not act accusatory. Do not tell them how rude you think they are. Try to be polite. If things do escalate, at least you know that you tried to be polite and reasonable.  Always start as you would want to be treated; with a nicely worded request and a please. Even if you don't think they deserve it.

No comments:

Post a Comment