Sunday, October 13, 2013

What happened to Thank you?

I remember being a teenager and taking a job at the local grocery store. Part of my training was being told to say thank you to every customer. When I handed back their change or gave them their receipt, I was to smile and say thank you.

I don't think that is part of training in customer service anymore.  I can not remember the last time a cashier thanked me. I'm not saying that all cashiers are rude. They are varying degrees of rude or pleasant just like the rest of the world. It just feels like they don't understand that in that moment they are representing their company.

I'm no longer working at that grocery store but I am still in customer service and I still thank the customers.  I represent my company. The customer has just done my company the favor of purchasing our services.  So I say thank you even to the difficult ones. It's good training and it's good etiquette.

No comments:

Post a Comment