Sunday, March 23, 2014

It's Not Polite To Correct People

We have all been in that situation where someone does something that is just plain rude. They don't say thank you or they chew with their mouths open. Maybe you sent them a present or made a donation to their cause and never got a thank you. It's aggravating.

Sadly, it is just as rude to call them on it.

You can ask someone nicely if they received that present or donation. You can not walk up to them and demand a thank you. You should never say "You're welcome" with sarcasm. You should never say "Excuse you" when someone cuts you off. 

It's tempting.  I succumbed to the temptation last week myself.  I was in a grocery store and an employee cut across from the register directly across my path as I was walking straight. She then stopped right in front of me and turned and said something to another employee. I had to stop short while holding bags of groceries. She just looked at me and continued on.  I admit it. I muttered "excuse you" after her.

That was rude of me. 

Yes she was being rude as well as inconsiderate and making her employers look bad to boot, but I still was rude as well.

Do not stoop. Do not become the rudeness.  It only spreads. I sincerely doubt I did anything to correct her behavior and only behaved badly myself.

Etiquette means behaving the correct way even if every one around you is being rude. Myself included.

No comments:

Post a Comment